Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Year, New Beginnings

I always love writing each year about a fresh start and fresh beginning, but unfortunately by March (if that), my fresh start is stuck in the mud and I'm back to the place I was the year before whether it was for weight loss, working out or pursuing writing. This year, while I try to kick start my pursuit of publication, I have something new that I am pursuing and one that I can't fail at - a healthier lifestyle.

My two-year-old son has some nasty allergies that we discovered just before his first birthday, but him being so young we were able to just feed him "baby" food and my husband and I continued to eating all the foods that we loved. My son is allergic to wheat, oats (anything with gluten), eggs and dairy. This has been a real challenge for me to find things that don't taste like garbage to give to him because toddlers have a hard enough time eating when they don't have allergies.

I did a ton of research and checked out cookbook after cookbook trying to find some recipes that would be suitable. Finally, I found four really great books that allow him to eat pretty much everything from bread to cookies, cakes to ice cream and even a homemade nondairy cheese. This Christmas, I took on the challenge of cooking and baking dinner for my very picky inlaws. Thankfully everything turned out reasonably well.

To start 2014, I cleaned out my pantry and fridge of everything that isn't safe for my son to eat. If he can't have it, neither can we. There is no better feeling than when he can just pick at my breakfast, lunch and dinner plate. It's been a little rough at times, since I absolutely love cheese and chocolate. The dairyfree cheese has a different taste, but I'm adapting and chocolate...well, it's a love that I will never get over. I have learned to cook and bake. And although it takes a lot more time of preparation than popping in a pizza or chicken nuggets, I feel good because I know what I am feeding my little guy.

So changing my eating and my family's eating is my fresh start. I've also started the new year with another bundle of joy. My second little guy was born in late September and a family of four is more to adapt to than three.

My writing has taken a beating since baby #2 came, but it is so worth it. And although I am back to being that sleep deprived mother of a newborn, I wouldn't change it for the world. Now when I look at my little guys, I have a little more motivation to write and seek publication. I also make better use of my writing time because when the boys are napping at the same time (virtually never), I focus so hard on writing as that window doesn't stay open for very long.

I am thankful to be back at the Salon and back with the Scouts. I have a feeling that 2014 is going to be the best year yet! Happy New Year! And if you have any websites or cookbook recommendations for gluten, dairy and egg free recipes, please feel free to post!

RJ

1 comment:

Ella Gray said...

Kudos for making some difficult changes for your family's health, RJ! Ditching the dairy would be sooooo hard, but I think it makes it a little easier when you're doing it for love. Hope both your boys happily thrive all year long :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...