Monday, January 20, 2014

Gorging on Urban Fantasy

In my last post I mentioned that cleansing can be a nice thing to focus on as part of making a fresh start in the new year. I was referring specifically to the plan for hubs and I to do a fruit and veggie cleanse some time in January, and I was very pleased with the healthy feeling that came from it. Now, some people will do this kind of cleanse for a week or more, and more power to them. I can't go without coffee for that long, LOL. So while it may not seem like a huge stretch, I think going two days eating nothing but fresh foods and water is a worthy accomplishment.

Of course, a little dietary cleansing isn't the only way to clear the cobwebs and get energized. Cleaning out all the junk and unused items around the house, emptying all the old folders and bookmarks on the computer you'll never look at again, or just organizing everything so it's not such a hot mess. I decided it was time to purge more books to make room for all the awesome new reading material I want this year, including getting rid of several ebooks on my Kindle (and I so wish we could donate those to the library too).

I couldn't help but notice that there are quite a few urban fantasy series that I started reading over the last few years but have not kept up with. It might be my short attention span, or my attraction to shiny new objects, but I tend to jump from one series to another only managing to read one or two books before moving on. I'm also super anal about reading any serial story in order, so there you go. Very occasionally I'll keep up with each new release, but not often. Which means I have a lot of catching up to do, so I'm planning a good old-fashioned gorging of some of the series I loved but didn't get the chance to continue. Here's my list so far -

The Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy - loved the first book (thanks for the recommendation Melanie!), but never went back to it

Horngate Witches by Diana Pharaoh Francis - I actually reviewed Bitter Night for the Witches and Witchcraft reading challenge last year

The Hollows by Kim Harrison - I know this one is really popular, and I made it 3 books into the series before I got distracted

Descendants by Jenna Black - again, only read the first one and really enjoyed it

Cal Leandros by Rob Thurman - I don't even know how many are in this series at this point, but I've only read the first two

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - another long series that I can't wait to get back to

In addition to these (as if it weren't enough to keep me busy all year), I've got a few series I've been meaning to start and haven't yet - October Daye and Incryptid series by Seanan McGuire, Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep, and the Sabina Kane books by Jaye Wells.

Yep, I've got a long and glorious UF road ahead of me this year, but I always have room for more. Which urban fantasy series do you think I should add to my list? Do you have any favorites you desperately need to catch up with?

Cheers!
Ella

3 comments:

EW Gibson said...

Ella,

Love the idea of inner and outer cleansing, very Zen. :)

Elizabeth

Melanie said...

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine and the rest of the Weather Wardens series...It's the kind of book that blends story with information. She explains how weather works! And it's sexy!
m

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...