Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Falling in Love


Author Leigh Bardugo writing style has captured my heart.  She is an extraordinary writer who creates a fantasy world so real you can step into them.  I know I did with her Shadows and Bones novel.    I wanted more.

Luckily, I found The Witch of Duva, a companion folk tale to her Shadows and Bones book.  It’s a short story with the same setting as her book, which is the fictitious Russian-inspired Ravka.  You could say this is a loose retelling of the Hansel and Gretel story with twists and surprises at every turn.  It starts strong and doesn’t let up.
 
“There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls.

It’s been many years since any child was taken. But still, on nights like these, when the wind comes cold from Tsibeya, mothers hold their daughters tight and warn them not to stray too far from home. “Be back before dark,” they whisper. “The trees are hungry tonight.””

The story is short, so I won’t give anything away.  Plus, it’s free.  You can get it here.
Till next time,
Elizabeth

 

 

 
 

9 comments:

Katja Weinert said...

I love her too! And that short story was excellent - disturbing, yet fabulous. I read it as soon as I'd finished Shadow and Bone, and then I got my happy little hands on the ARC for Siege and Storm. I can't help but fangirl in my reviews, lol :)

EW Gibson said...

Katja,

I am so jealous you have that ARC!
Thanks for stopping by.

Jessie Harrell said...

thanks for the recommendation - I loved that little snippet you posted.

Kelly Hashway said...

Woods that eat girls? I'm hooked.

Rosi said...

This looks positively delicious. Thanks for the gift of a story, Elizabeth!

EW Gibson said...

@Jessie Hope you like it.

@ Kelly, It's a great first line.

@ Rosi, Glad I've whet your appetite. Enjoy.

Thanks so much all of you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Unknown said...

Oh - a free short story by an excellent author? Yum!
Thanks Elizabeth! :-)

EW Gibson said...

Lexa,

You're welcome!

Unknown said...

Hungry trees? I see a download in my future. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...