Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Forging a Path with Tarot


My theme for this year, as I mentioned last time, is to be fearless in my writing and art projects.  Whoa, just saying the word fearless makes my knees knock.  But, I’m tired of the roller coaster ride that takes me up and down, round and round and never ends.
 
Do you know what I mean?  Einstein’s thought on the subject. “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”  I’m tired of doing that.  How about you?  Do you have a way of taking a different route?

Well, I have an idea to forge a new path with Tarot cards.  No, I’m not into fortune telling, but I am into stirring up my muse with a game.

I want to find a way to ignite the written word with art and vice versa using the Tarot.  Nothing new by any means, writers have been using Tarot cards to stimulate their muse out of her slumber for a long time.
I’ve used the cards when inspiration or a brainstorming partner are not available.  For example, if I’m wondering something about how my character would respond to an event or what in the world happens next in my story, I would do the following.  Thinking of my quandary with my wip, I would then pick a random card from the deck.  And this is where the fun and the possibilities begins.

 
It’s like having your muse or brainstorming partner at your desk and saying how about this idea.  I suppose it’s a visual equivalent of the ‘What if?’ question.  The question starts with words and ends in words.  The Tarot cards starts with an image with the integration of words through the symbols within the card.  Then from the  card and the question you’ve placed in your mind about your wip you create more images and story ideas.  You could play with the cards until you have your whole story and characters mapped out. I think it’s a way to go deeper into your story in the most surprising way.

 Of course, you still have to plan or play this around a sound structure for it to work.  Otherwise, you’ll be faced with many holes in your story. 
I believe our stories are unique because let’s face it there’s no one like us. Whew!  When I was looking at the different tarot cards and the images portrayed, I found them lacking a connection to my story.  So, I decided to create my own Tarot cards that align with my wip.  It will be like funneling ideas straight from my muse without even trying.
I will be documenting my process, choices for images, symbols, colors and whatever else comes up.  I’m hoping you’ll join me in making your own cards and add your thoughts and suggestions about mine.
Next time, I’ll be doing a book review.  So, it will on the 20th of February that I will show you my progress. 
To get you started here are some links about Tarot.
 More of the Tarot card images above by Pamela Coleman Smith 1909: http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/xr/index.htm
More links on the sacred-texts site: http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/index.htm
Till next time,
Elizabeth

 

 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi! I love this post- I do a similar thing when writing by looking at pictures online (generally The Big Picture, which comes handily in my rss feed). I've gotten many ideas just from the jump-starting effect of introducing a new image.

Speaking of images, my friend Stephanie and I have spent the last two years working on constructing our own tarot deck- it's been an incredible journey, and very powerful. You can see the images on our site, blackwidowhoney.com, or check out our flickr site, http://www.flickr.com/photos/61441196@N02/

I'd love to hear what you think, and I'll be excited to hear how this goes for you!

EW Gibson said...

Nancy,

I just looked at your pics on flickr and your website. Wonderful! I love the imagination and thought that went into your cards. I fell in love with the Five of Cup series. Dramatic and dynamic color. Good job!

I like to know how you plan to work with them? Will you do a complete set?

Elizabeth

EW Gibson said...

Nancy,

I just looked at your pics on flickr and your website. Wonderful! I love the imagination and thought that went into your cards. I fell in love with the Five of Cup series. Dramatic and dynamic color. Good job!

I like to know how you plan to work with them? Will you do a complete set?

Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Generally alluded to as shut bite the dust manufacturing, impression-kick the bucket fashioning of steel, aluminum, titanium and other compounds can deliver a practically boundless assortment of 3-D shapes that range in weight from simple ounces up to in excess of 25 tons. Impression-bite the dust forgings are regularly created on water powered presses, mechanical presses and sledges, with limits as much as 50,000 tons, 20,000 tons and 50,000 lbs. separately.

Forging Process
Forging Process
Forging Process

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...