Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fated Attractions



As usual, I was off spending every last loose penny on the Amazon site (this month is Kitty Norville and fantasy illustrating) and was reminded that I have a Maggie Stiefvater book on my wish list.  Actually, it's a short story collection with two other writers: Tessa Gatton and Brenna Yovanoff.  The collection is only available for preorder as of this posting, but there is more information on the collection, or rather the collectees, at the bottom of the page. 

It turns out these three were not thrown together by accident. By all signs and symptoms of their group blog, they have been at this short story madness for some time.

Their blog, The Merry Sisters of Fate, is a story collection all its own.  The stories' titles suggest that they are drawing on the world of fairy tales and exorcising them of anything resembling the archaic.  Beast, Blood Red Rose, One Feather, The Emperor's Son, Beanstalk to the End of the World.  What do you think? 

"In this room, bathing in golden slants of evening light, it seemed like night would never come, with its smiling dead"
 Maggie Stiefvater

"Outside, the night is strangely pale. Snow has collected on all the window ledges and made its way up the glass, shutting us in like a tomb. In the clear space above the little drifts, it just keeps falling."
Brenna Yovanoff


"The man-eater crouches in the corner of his room and stares at me. All he can see are my eyes as I peer through the thin slat cut high into the iron door."
Tessa Gratton


And since I promised Darsie that I'd post some YA stories for her to share with her kids, these are a good place to start. 

(Waves to Darsie)  Hi!  Your oldest might like these authors. One of them even plays soccer.  Have her check out the blogs, and book blurbs, and let me know what she thinks.  Meanwhile, I'm heading over to Goodreads to check up on where I am supposed to be in Scorpio Races.  I read the opening and it keeps calling to me while I am doing other (much more mundane) things.

Catch you on the other side.
m

music for the Scorpio Races


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...