Friday, May 4, 2012

Excerpts: Love, Hate, or No Interest?


Last week, Tor.com released an excerpt from A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I didn’t spend too much time reading it because I didn’t want to spoil myself. Normally I’m first in line for any spoiler, but I couldn’t bring myself to do this time.

It is because the character from the excerpt was not one of the main characters? Probably. I’m positive if Mat popped up in it, there would be no one to stop me from reading it. He is the only character I care about in the entire book.

And for some reason, I don’t read excerpts from any books unless it is from series I read before. Authors posting excerpt from the first book of a series doesn’t excite me. I read the summary, if it peaks my interest, then I will read it. Otherwise I move on to the next book.

It’s strange how I read them if I’ve already read a previous book in the series. If not a series, I won’t bother with the excerpt even if it is an author I love to read. I’m very much an all or nothing type of girl. Plus I’m not patience. I dread reading an excerpt and the book’s release date is months away.

How do you feel about excerpts? Is that the way you will read a book? Do they help you choice which book to buy on a tight budget? Or don’t care about them one bit?

5 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

I don't always read excerpts either. If a blurb interests me, I want to read the first couple of pages to see if the writing interests me. If you can't get me in the beginning, the middle won't matter.

Marilyn Muñiz said...

It may take me longer to read, but I will work my way through a beginning that doesn't grab my attention at first. Unless I can't get push how it is written.

runebug said...

The only excerpt I want is from the very beginning of the book. This is usually how I buy books. I flip to the first page in the book store, or use Amazon's preview on the first page. If I like the first page or two, I buy it.

I never want to see an excerpt from the middle of the book. I despise spoilers of any kind.

Emilia Quill said...

I sometimes read excerpts, unless it's from a series I'm already reading or a book I've bough then. I'd prefer excerpts from the beginning since later ones can feel a bit spoler-ish.

Mina Lobo said...

Books from authors I've not yet read first have to capture my attention with their book covers. Next, I'll read their back cover copy and at least the first paragraph. If I'm on the fence, I'll read the whole first page. If I dig what I've read, I buy. Excerpts from the middle of the story don't thrill me.

Some Dark Romantic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...