Friday, February 17, 2012

A Memory of Light

Yesterday, Tor announced the final book of The Wheel of Time series will be released on January 8th, 2013. Finally after 10 plus years of reading the series, it is coming to an end. Even if I disliked the books in the middle, I can’t wait to sit down and read the final book.

Yet I’m afraid the book won’t live up to my expectations after all this time. I don’t think there has been a book series that has ended where I felt completely satisfied. It really isn’t something I can put into words at this time and it may take me a few days before I can.

As I think this over, are there any book series you are waiting to end? How did you feel when your favorite one ended?

4 comments:

Andrew said...

I get a little depressed at the end of a series. Especially one that I have been reading for a long time. I get so into the story and the characters that I don't want their story to end.

Unknown said...

I also get depressed once a series ends. With Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series, I was so depressed and even more so when I read the final installment. It did not live up to the other books in the series and that disappointed me all the more :-(

BTW - I wanted to let you know that I tagged you on my blog :D Have a great weekend!

Evie@ Paromantasy

Ciara Ballintyne said...

You've ONLY been waiting ten plus years? I started The Eye of the World in 1992. Only TWENTY YEARS. I said I would be finished university before the series ended (I was 11 in 1992) but I didn't realise I would be nearly ten years out and a mother.

I have loved all the books, even the ones in the middle. My only complaint was Robert Jordan's tendency to overdescribe in some of the middle books. I've generally been happy with the endings of most series I have read (OK not Joe Abercrombie's First Law series), but was quite sad when The Sword of Truth came to an end after nearly as many years as The Wheel of Time (1994 - 2009 or something like that). I expect I will feel a little lost after the conclusion of A Memory of Light.

Unknown said...

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series was one my all time favorite book series. When it ended (after 4 books) I was pleased and satisfied with the end. It was an amazing journey and I accepted that it was over.
Then they came out with more books and I couldn't bring myself to read them. I'd put the story, in its entirety to rest - I think adding to the series was like peeing in the shower after you've already washed your feet.
Just my opinion :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...