Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Love For My Writing Space

The water heater in our house had a breakdown last month. It wasn’t really a big deal and the landlord had a new unit installed that evening. The next day I noticed that the carpet was damp on one whole side of the room adjacent to where the heater was housed outside. An awful stench bloomed over the next few days and I was forced to move furniture around to prevent moisture damage.

Sadly, the room was my study where I do most of my writing. After weeks of repeated cleaning and drying, dumping tons of that anti-stink powder and waiting for the smell to clear away, I came to the realization that I’m a complete spaz without my writing space. I’ve spent days wandering from room to room, trying different chairs and positions, with little success and frustratingly sporadic writing. I never thought about how important my own little corner of the world was until it was gone.

Thankfully, it’s finally back to normal and I can breathe again. More importantly, I can write with ease, in my chair, at my table, from the comfort of my room. I guess the one good thing that came out of it is that I now have a clean and organized space. It won’t last long, but I took the time to freeze the moment so I can share my special place with you.





It’s not perfect (we rent, so I have no intention of painting the room even though it could really use it), but it’s mine and I’ll never take it for granted again. We've moved between several cities over the last few years, so my study has gone through a variety of incarnations with each new locale. Yet the bones remain, and I hope to never have to go for so long without my writing space again.

Do you have a spot at home that puts you in the writing zone? Or do you like to hit the road and find new places to get the creative wings fluttering? I'd love to hear what works for you and your craft. 

15 comments:

Marian Lanouette said...

I love your space. Mine is great also desk a book case, cabinets, reference books, files two computers and most important a door. Enjoy your writing. Marian

Ella Gray said...

Thanks Marian! Yes, the door is the best part of any writing space, LOL.

Kathy Bennett said...

I have a dedicated room as an office. I'm toying with the idea of getting a new desk just so I'm forced to go through and get things organized! I'd much rather have a new desk than a broken water heater!

I don't write outside the home very well. I can do it, but its a struggle.

You've done a great job with your study.

Ella Gray said...

Kathy - I would definitely recommend a new desk first, haha. I use a drafting table because it's got a lot of surface area and I also use it for sewing and other artsy stuff.

I don't know how anyone can concentrate in coffee shops and book stores. I've worked at the library on occasion, but that's about all I can handle.

Thanks for stopping by!

Shelley Munro said...

What a great office - so tidy :)
I can write anywhere and frequently have my most productive writing sessions at my local McDonald's or one of my favorite cafes. They're good locations because I can't get up and procrastinate.

Anonymous said...

Nice spot -- and a very comfortable-looking chair you've got there. I write all over the place, by laptop and ballpoint pen, at my desk or at the beach, but my favorite spot is on the floor by the couch with my Dr. Grip pen and a composition book.

Ella Gray said...

Shelley - Thanks! It won't stay that way for long, heh. Big congratz on today's release of Lone Wolf!!

Milo - Ah yes, nothing like curling up with good old-fashioned paper and pen. And the chair is indeed very comfortable - I credit it with all my best writing sessions. Hail Office Depot!

Rosi said...

Virginia Woolf had it right, didn't she? Your space looks positively serene. I can see how you get real work done in there. Nice light, lots of books at hand, a good chair, inspiring artwork. Is there a door you can close? That's what saves me. Right now I'm without a computer. My drive went bad, but my masterful husband will have me up and running soon, but, oh, I miss being in there where I have all my books and my own space and computer. Soon, soon.

Marsha A. Moore said...

I'm like you, Ella. I have to have my spot in order. However, I can write well outside in our lanai, on our dock, or at the beach. The sounds of nature help me focus. But inside, I'm dedicated to my desk in my office.

Glad you're back together and comfy.

Debra said...

Thanks for sharing your writing space. I can write anywhere but I find I do better revising & editing when I'm in my home office. I do share the space with my husband but we're remodeling and I'll be getting a room that's ALL MINE. :) I love that picture you have in the corner.

Ella Gray said...

Hi Rosi! I can close the door, but rarely need to since I work while hubs is at his job and the house is empty (aside from my 2 furry sidekicks, of course). I hope you get everything sorted very soon :-)

Marsha - I suppose if I had a private outdoor space, I could get something done. Especially if it was a nice beach (lucky!) Public places are just too distracting.

Ella Gray said...

Debra - Do share when you get a room of your very own :-) The trick is to collect enough books that it requires an entire room to store them, LOL. The frightening thing is that this space only accounts for about half the books in our house. I have a problem, I know.

Megan said...

I love your study! My husband and I own a two-bedroom townhouse, so I write in our shared office--but it's got his deer head hanging on the wall directly above the desk, which isn't ideal! Sometimes I use my laptop and write in bed at night by candlelight, which is also fun.

Ella Gray said...

Megan - Writing in bed is also good, and away from a deer head is even better, LOL.

Ciara said...

What a great office! I'm hoping to set one up someday. I love the bookshelf. There is something about writing while surround by books. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...