Saturday, July 23, 2011

Fairy Tales Can Come True...



Do you believe? Or do you think fairy tales are only for the young at heart?

Fairy tales have a way of unraveling age-old struggles about living and dying. I love the way they have a knack of showing us about ourselves, the bad and the good. My favorite fairy tale growing up was the Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson, the original not the Disney version, where the reward of love came with the giving of yourself. Fairy tales are a wonderful way to teach children about life, but it’s also a way to remind us that we can triumph over evil, even with the misguided illusions that we carry about our frailties and inadequacies. Simplistic? Perhaps, but why do we have to make life so complicated?

I want to share with you “Zero,” a stop motion short film that has won the “Best Short Film” at the Naples International Film Festival and many other awards. It was created by Australian husband and wife film-making team Christopher and Christine Keseloz. It’s a dark fairy tale about a world where people are born into a numerical class system. Born with a zero on his chest, the hero faces a life filled with discrimination and bullying. I’ll stop here. Put your feet up, sit back and enjoy.

Zero from Zealous Creative on Vimeo.


What did you think? What was your favorite fairy tale growing up and what did you learn from it?

Till the next time,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I don't remember the name of the story and maybe it was more than one. In it a prince had a cloak of invisibility and I wanted to be the prince. He was going after the princess under the mountain.

Another one, has three boxes and three dogs and a soldier and I wanted to be the soldier with the power of boxes.

I learned about magic and power. They gave me a sense of what else is possible, keeping me keyed to fairy tales, science fiction, and fantasy as the sources for the knowledge of the world I needed. It's where the idea of shamanism as science recorded in stories got locked in.

leadinglight said...

I recently read Angela Carter's book of fairytales. It was very interesting how so many different countries had variations of the same story. Maybe the myth about Babel was not simply the stuff of legend.

My favourite was Bluebeard. I suppose I learned you need to be inquisitive to learn the truth.

@ Melanie: Your story is called The Tinder Box. The one with the soldier.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...