Thursday, June 16, 2011

Local Steampunk

OK, so at the last minute I decided to spend the day on Saturday morning, sitting outside, in real daylight, drinking coffee under the trees of my local cafe. Needing something to write on, I picked up the local arts and events paper that had--for some reason--lots of white space on the front page.

Inside, I discovered an insert for the Art Walk later that day, and when it fell open I saw a review for a show. Steampunk? In Sacramento? I think of us as being as far from the real world of creativity as politics is from real-life. I went, of course. Had to see what all the buzz was about.



I am SO glad I did. We may not be at the heart of the most innovative and creative, but we are near enough to creative centers to draw people to us.

I met Connie Ricca outside taking pictures of a couple of musicians. Her photographs, just inside the doors of the show, are fascinating once she's finished with them.



If I had known what I was getting into, I would have approached the show with a more reporterly intent. As it is, you gotta be satisfied with phone-captured snapshots.






Then, I discovered through a friend that 14 June is International Steampunk Day, celebrating the birthday of H. G. Wells. Good time to be a spec fic writer, I must say.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...